Sunday, 22 January 2017

Meal Planning Monday: 23rd - 27th Jan 2017

I don't know about you but it's been a bloody busy week around here! We still managed to stick to our meal plan though - woohoo!


via GIPHY

I made my debut with baked tofu last week. I have kept away from tofu for ages because I seemed to turn it into a scrambled mess whenever I cooked it, but the recipe I used from 'Appetite for Reduction' by Isa Chandra was really easy to follow and the tofu was firm and crispy. I still can't get to grips with marinating it (it never seems as flavoursome as I'd like) but I guess that's why tofu is notorious for being bland!

I also went for a run for the first time since October on Tuesday evening with my work friend Angelo. We used the Couch to 10k app which is available for free on the Google Play store. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy I found it after so many months off, and we have decided to skip ahead a few weeks next week as we both felt we could run for longer than 60 seconds at a time. Bring it on! I've bought myself one of those arm straps to keep my phone in so we can both hear it. No doubt I'll feel like a bit of a wanker wearing it but if it does the job I'm prepared to feel a bit silly!

We've definitely found our meal planning stride and the food we're eating is healthy and exciting. Ok maybe not the fishless fingers... (alright, they were exciting!) but the majority of the time we are eating loads of veg and it feels good to have switched to brown pasta and rice. I am still feeling quite dehydrated so this week I am going to make it my mission to drink much more water.

So, on with next week's plan...
  • Coconut Thai curry with brown rice, recipe from Deliciously Ella, p120
  • Pasta with green beans, from So What Do you Eat, p22 (probably looking forward to this the least)
  • Roasted chickpea and broccoli burritos with fire-roasted salsa, from Thug Kitchen, p164 & p124.
  • Cauliflower pakoras and naan bread (p318 and 172 of Veg Everyday) with potato and spinach curry from Appetite for Reduction, p232
  • Jacket potatoes with beans and salad (our Friday tradition)
  • Vegan pad thai - this recipe is on the Sainsbury's Instagram page and was created by our favourite chef Cook Daily (@kingcookdaily)

I have also made some quinoa for lunch, using up some pak choy, celery and cabbage we had in the fridge. I will probably also make some kind of energy balls this week but haven't decided which yet (gotta use up that 10kg of dates somehow!)

And look at these awesome banana raspberry blackcurrant muffins I made yesterday... *Homer style gargle*



It's hard to choose my favourite dish from last week, they were all delicious (if I do say so myself) but the carrots with gremolata I made from 'Veg Everyday' on Thursday were very tasty. Gremolata (I learned) is fresh lemon zest, garlic and parsley all chopped up together and served as a condiment. For this side dish, I roasted the carrots and then tossed them in the gremolata immediately before serving. They were sweet and tangy and gorgeous!

If you'd like to see more of my cookery (don't get your hopes up, it's basic) give me a follow on Instagram @crapdieter . You can also join me in meal planning each week over on Nelly's Cupcakes who has started an awesome new linky for us #mealplanlikeaboss

Chick'n, dumplings and carrots with gremolata

No comments:

Post a Comment